Sunday, November 2, 2008

I'm tired of and hate politics, however...

Ok, so I know this election is just around the corner and is possibly one the biggest ever so this is just a little synopsis of where I'm at right now. All meant to share, inform, and maybe even amuse, but not in anyway try to start an argument.

To start with I don't know how true this is but according to an email I got from mom and some things said on the news it is not a good idea to vote straight ticket this time around. This does not mean you have to vote any different just don't select the straight ticket option on the ballet. The story is that there is a glitch and if you do your vote may not be counted. While I may not agree with everyone’s choice I do believe its your choice and should be counted. That said it is supposed to be safer to vote for each individual person.

Next I just wanted to share this to anyone interested. I understand that this is a hard year with neither choice being clear cut but I figure that those that know me probably already know I am going to vote for McCain. In the end I believe a presidential election can be broken down into two main topics: Economic and Moral. Economics is hard (as I am grossly aware of this semester:). I don't know if anyone really understands these plans including the politicians that create them in the first place. I don't like the sound of McCain’s plan all that well, and I feel like Obama's sounds a little vague and a bit "too good to be true." It sounds great to say Health coverage on pre-existing conditions and choose your own doctor and all that but when it comes down to it we all know very well that the only way government can make health programs better is by raising taxes. So the question is how can you talk about all the good things your going to use federal funding on and in the next breath say your going to cut taxes. It just doesn't work. I fear the day we have to work 6 months to pay our taxes and 6 months to make out living. Anyway the second topic, Morals, this one has its gray areas but it substantially easier. It is what our faith and our conscience tells us is right or wrong. Abortion, same sex marriage, equality issues and the such. Now as an American taxpayer (well, soon anyway) I am concerned by the economic standpoints but as a Christian I am admit about the Moral issues. As long as my life is not my own (therefore God’s) then my vote is not really my own either. So in trying to decide what issues are most important it doesn’t take long to decide what God would choose, I believe it was Paul that said “the love of money is the root of all evil.” When it comes down to it people are what is important. Our freedom of choice is a part of that so I will never persecute someone for being gay but I should be able to believe it’s wrong without being persecuted. I remember a conversation with a friend about concern for her kids growing up in a time when they could get in fights or trouble at school for voicing there opinion on the issue. Well I read something scary the other day that sounds like one of those freedoms being taken away. There is a law that currently protects a doctor from having to perform an abortion if he/she feels it is wrong. According to the statement that is something Obama hope to overturn by signing something called the Freedom of Choice Act. So they are saying that it is no longer ok to stick to your convictions. If I were a doctor and told I had to offer the procedure I would turn in my license freely before ever committing murder. This came from a very interesting news letter written by Dr. Dobson (focus on the family.) You can read it in it’s entirety here. http://www.citizenlink.org/focusaction/updates/A000008358.cfm

Well, I didn’t really mean to go on for so long there I’m just that wordy.

So to finish things off on a smile I want you to for just a minute forget that this has anything to do with the election. I got this forwarded to me earlier and had to pass it along.

Where it all began
A little girl wrote to Sarah Palin and asked;
'How did the human race start?'
Sarah Palin answered, 'God made Adam and Eve;
They had children; and so was all mankind made.'
Two days later the girl wrote to Michelle Obama
and asked the same question.
Michelle Obama answered,
'Many years ago there were monkeys from
which the human race evolved.'
The confused girl went to her father and said,
'Dad, how is it possible that Sarah Palin told me
the Human race was created by God,
And Michelle Obama said they evolved from monkeys.'
The father answered, 'Well, Dear, it is very simple,
Sarah Palin told you about her ancestors
and Michelle Obama told you about hers.'


Forgetting the election for a moment it just has to make you laugh.

Much love to everyone. I wish you well.
Goodnight


1 comment:

Jessica said...

I completely agree. I have to vote for what in my eyes "is right". I cannot go against my morals. Not to mention the fact, that I am very worried about healthcare right now. Obama's plan scares me and makes me worry about my future job. Why does everyone want to give healthcare (even a part of it) to the government, when the government has a hard enough time with everything else? It makes no sense. So yes, McCain and Palin will get my vote. I do think Palin is so cute and smart. It's nice to see a strong smart female out there. Love you girl!