Monday, March 22, 2010

OK, and so that's why I have a rule

So things are way better tonight. I knew I shouldn't post something public until I had calmed down but on the other hand I think in some way it helped and reading your comments did too. That said things actually got much better between mom and I. I went in to deliver my half felt apology and got a surprise. She said she had done a lot of thinking about it and I was RIGHT! So nice to hear once and a while lol. She said that it was important and if I wanted to send them out I should. We talked about how it was for her growing up and how Grandma has always been about this sort of thing. Very much the type that always (and I mean always) feels like she needs to send a check for everything from a wedding of a 3rd cousin to a funeral to a, you guessed it, graduation announcement. On top of that she is also the kind of person that will hold a grudge against someone if they don't send a thank you card back which has made some waves within my family as the Loper side is very much opposite. For years grandma would bring up the fact that she sent Gran a check when Gran-Dad died and never heard anything back, I agree that showing appreciation is important but I don't think it has to be done for the form of a thank you card and I personally have a major problem with someone expecting it from a person that has just lost someone. After Grandpa's funeral Mom had to help get all the thank you cards out and Grandma obsessed over it the whole time. So stressful when you have so many other things going on. Anyway my point is that while mom doesn't take quite the extrema side that the Loper side of the family has she does recognize that grandma is often overboard on these things are seen that she has to change some of that within herself.

So we are planning to go looking for stuff in the next week or two. I wanted to make them myself seeing as how the ones through the school (well actually Herff Jones) are kinda pricey unless you need like 100 of them. Besides, I like the crating the look and putting them together myself. I just hope the printer cooperates seeing as we seem to have a printer curse on this house. My grandpa had the same one for like 10 years and in that time we have gone though 4 and are on our 5th. I even broke the 5th trying to clear a paper jam (failed to read the label that said do not pull out from the front) but have found a little MacGyverism that makes it work again.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I think things will get much better when I can actually start looking for work and not have to worry about it as much. We all agreed I would wait until this next trip to Colorado (hate to think it might be our last family vacation). I will probably talk to the adviser at the career center right before so I can get on the ball when we get back.

Talk to yall later, I have to go tend to my farm, restaurants and make sure my cat hasn't run off to the pound again. Later!

2 comments:

jhelene said...

I think talking to an advisor is a very good idea. When I was a freshman mentor and a student orientation leader the primary piece of advice was to frequently see your advisor. They get paid to help you:) Take them up on it. I am glad things are better and that you are sending announcements.
Love you!

Shae said...

I honestly wanted to use an advisory more but I think this is one of the areas that Ivy Tech really suffered in. At no time in my enrolling did anyone ever directed me to a specific person and the only thing I was told about the advisers office was that all new students had to have there first semesters classes registered through them. I tried to get some help through them one time after that, I signed in, waited an hour and a half, got sent in to a nice old lady that I believe knew less about the school then I did. I don't know what the purposed of that office was other then helping to set up schedules but needless to say that was my last trip. I then, after talking with another girl in one of my classes about here advisory set out to meet with him. Our time took place in a class he was subbing in for (just there to answer question) where he asked me what my major was and proceeded to do an overview of my entire course list which had its helpful aspects but wasn't really what I was there for. I just felt like I never got any of the lets sit and talk about your goals kind of person. The only instructor I really felt like I could have gotten that from left our campus site for the one about an hour away at which I had no classes. It was near the end for me (2nd to my last semester) when I was really starting to reach the important questions point so that sucked. Now that I am done I feel weird because I have no real connections to any one person but I hope that someone in the career center will just click because I still need to get my resume in order, what there is of it. I actually lost points in my capstone course for turning in a resume that was too short, never mind that it was accurate. I suppose I could have made up some fake work experience or something lol. So anyway I guess that is something I need to work with. Hopefully they don't have some dumb policy that I have to be a current student to come see them.